Sunday, January 19, 2014 - 6:36am
Updated Sunday, May 4, 2014 - 7:11am
The 140th Kentucky Derby has been won by the favorite.
California Chrome went off at 5-2 and pulled away down the stretch before beating long shot Commanding Curve by 1 3/4 lengths. The victory was the fifth in a row for California Chrome and made 77-year-old Art Sherman the oldest Derby-winning trainer.
Owners Perry Martin and Steve Coburn bred an $8,000 mare to a $2,500 stallion to win the world's most famous race with their one-horse stable.
Jockey trainer Victor Espinoza completed the 1 1/4 miles in 2:03.66 for his second Derby victory, 12 years after guiding War Emblem.
California Chrome paid $7.00, $5.60 and $4.20. Commanding Curve was worth $31.80 and $15.40. Danza finished third and paid $6.00.
Floyd Mayweather remains unbeaten after winning a majority decision in a tough bout against Marcos Maidana in Las Vegas.
Maidana threw far more punches, but Mayweather was more accurate with his as the two battled into the late rounds with the fight still very much in doubt. Cheered on by a large contingent of Argentine fans, Maidana took the fight to Mayweather, who was cut by the right eye in the fourth round by an accidental head butt.
Mayweather retained his welterweight title by winning 117-111 on one scorecard and 116-112 on another. A third judge had it even at 114-114.
Brian Scott has claimed the pole for Today's Sprint Cup race in Talladega, Ala. He led a 1-2-3 sweep of cars on the starting grid for Richard Childress Racing drivers.
Scott will be making just his fifth career Sprint Cup start.
Final Minnesota 6 Baltimore 1
Final Philadelphia 7 Washington 2
NATIONAL BASKETBALL ASSOCIATION PLAYOFFS
Final Indiana 92 Atlanta 80
Final Oklahoma City 120 Memphis 109
Final L-A Clippers 126 Golden State 121
NATIONAL HOCKEY LEAGUE PLAYOFFS
Final Boston 5 Montreal 3
Final OT Los Angeles 3 Anaheim 2
Copyright © Oct 23, 2014, Delaware 105.9/Delmarva Broadcasting Company. All Rights Reserved.
This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.
| Latest News
- AUDIO: 6th District State Senate Candidates Spar at Candidates Forum
- AUDIO: Candidates in 20th Rep District Discuss Variety of Issues
- Milton Goat Shot, Injured
- 1 Dead in Kent Island, MD Crash
- NCCo Police Search for Creeper in Bear
- Rash of Vandalism Strikes Several NCCo Communities
- 9th Annual Fall Job Fair in Salisbury Today
- REMINDER: Early Voting in MD Starts Today
- Partial Eclipse Visible THIS Afternoon
- Equipment Sparks Fire at UD Chemistry Lab
- AUDIO: Survey Shows Carper, Coons are Worth Millions
- Eye Exams, Glasses Offered to Low-Income Students
- Big Pot Haul Lands Probationer Back Behind Bars
- Probationer Back in Jail After Gun, Drug Arrest
- New Parking Permit Rules in Wilmington
- Aldridge to Become New Friends School Head
- Antares Rocket Set to Launch from Wallops Oct. 27
- 3 Kindergarten Students Experience "Asthma-Like" Symptoms
- MD Democrats Announce Voter Hotline for Problems
- Fire Damages Wall, Siding at Lewes Home
- Milton, State Police Investigate Motorcycle Thefts
- Three Arrested in Separate Drug-Related Cases in Harrington
- Woman Arrested for Tire-Slashing Incident in Harrington
- Three Teen Girls Arrested Following Recent Fight in Harrington
- Man Arrested for Discharging Gun in Salisbury
- Gunman Robs Wilmington Clothing Store
- Delaware Duck Hunting Season Opens Friday
- MD, VA, PA, NJ to Monitor Travelers from Ebola-Stricken Area
- $2.5M from State to Help Phila. Children's Hospital Grow
- Delaware Board Nixes Commutation for Killer
- New Castle Woman Charged with False Ebola Report
- DART Stuff the Bus Food Drive Begins Nov. 10